Hints and Tips
Following the suggestions on this page will help you to make your move a stress free and enjoyable experience. After all, whether you are moving to the next street, next town or a new country, you are about to make a significant change to the way you live, and it should be something to look forward to!
Planning Your Move
As soon as you decide that you are going to move home make contact with a couple of removal companies to get quotes and find a company that you are happy with. All too often people neglect their move until just a week or two before the event. This can make it difficult to find a company that is able to complete your move for you, and you may find yourself having to go with your 2nd or 3rd choice because your 1st choice is booked up.
2-3 Months Before Your Move Date
- Make a list of items you wish to move.
- Make contact with the removal companies to get quotes
- If your moving overseas make sure to get personal records in order.
- Fill out the required customs forms if applicable.
1-2 Months Before Your Move Date
- Make arrangements to get your packing materials if you plan on doing the packing yourself.
- Complete and return your acceptance forms and confirm your required moving date.
- Complete forms relating to your insurance rquirements.
1-4 Weeks Before Your Move Date
- above all else give yourself plenty of time to pack your belongings . What may seem like a straightforward job can take a substantial amount of time and should not be left until the last minute try and pack 1-3 boxes per day
- Safely dispose of all flammables e.g paints gas bottles cleaning fluids and oils
- Clear attic and/or basement
- Contact the relevant tradesmen to carry out any required tasks e.g plumbers electricians cleaners etc…
A week before your move, notify your utility companies of the day that you will be vacating your house. Prepare a list to include
- Satellite / Cable
The Day before you move
- Ensure that you keep any required documents close at hand e.g passports travel tickets etc before your packers and removal team arrive
- Outline any special instuctions to the removal company upon their arrival.
- Confirm what is to be moved
- When the packing and loading is complete have a final look around to ensure that nothing gets left behind
- Sign the inventory listings after you have checked it carefully and are happy with it
- Ensure that the property is fully locked up and secure
Upon delivery of your goods instruct the removal company where you would like items placed